Kroger is committed to our associates' health and well-being. That is why we offer our associates competitive wages, high-quality health care benefits and retirement savings plans.
Our company's total rewards package, which includes wages, perks, discounts, and health and wellness benefits, is among the best in the retail food industry. It is designed to attract and retain talented associates. Our health care plans include coverage for medical, prescription drugs, dental, vision, disability and life insurance. We also provide domestic partner benefits.
For Kroger associates eligible for benefits under the company-sponsored health care plans, we offer competitive medical coverage via Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRAs). We also offer a number of programs to help our associates better manage their health, such as:
- Free health screenings. In 2015, 68,623 associates and their spouses/domestic partners received free health screenings (84% of those eligible). The company paid more than $28.8 million in incentives to associates who met health screening targets.
- Health coaching services. Kroger also offers free health coaching services for conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, weight loss and tobacco use cessation. We conducted nearly 6,000 coaching sessions in 2015.
- Wellness initiatives. We offer fun ways for associates to be active and stay fit.
A majority of our hourly store associates are represented by labor unions. Kroger makes contributions to multiple Health & Welfare Trust Funds and Pension Trust Funds on behalf of eligible associates covered by collective bargaining agreements. All funding for these health and wellness trusts and pension funds is paid solely by the company.
During the last several years, our associates' health has
improved, demonstrated by lower cholesterol, blood
pressure and blood glucose scores. Our workplace
programs were recognized with a "Best Employers for
Healthy Lifestyles" award from the National Business
Group on Health, and by the American Heart Association.
In 2015, Kroger was named one of the top 100 Healthiest Workplaces in America by Healthiest Employer, LLC for our commitment to exceptional employee health and corporate wellness programming. The honor is awarded based on our health and wellness vision, culture/engagement, learning, expertise, metrics and technology.
Kroger provides many ways for all associates to improve their health. For the last four years, all divisions have participated in "I CAN DO THAT" wellness challenges. More than 59,000 associates from all of our divisions have participated in a walking or weight loss challenge. Since 2012, our associates have:
- Walked 13.9 billion steps
- Completed 19.4 million minutes of activity
More importantly, our associates generally pay less for their health care benefits than other individuals working in our industry. In 2015, the company spent more than $1.7 billion to provide health care for our associates, their families and retirees.