Offering sustainable wild caught and farm-raised fish is important to our customers and Kroger. Our seafood buyers recognize the importance of responsibly sourced seafood and are taking steps to ensure that the variety of fish we enjoy today is available for future generations.
What is sustainably caught seafood?
Sustainable seafood practices help ensure the freshest, best-tasting seafood will be available for years to come. These practices include both wild-caught and farm-raised seafood:
- Wild-caught is marine life that is fished from the wild. These wild fisheries exist primarily in the oceans, but they can also exist in lakes and rivers.
- Farm-raised involves raising freshwater and saltwater seafood in tanks or enclosures. This practice is frequently referred to as "aquaculture."
Making strides toward a sustainable future
- Our goal is to source 100% of our top 20 wild-caught species from fisheries that are Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified, in MSC full assessment, or engaged in a fishery improvement project by the year 2015.
- We are also working with the Global Aquaculture Alliance’s Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) program to ensure that our farmed seafood items meet strict standards for sustainability.
- We will continue these efforts because our goal is to ensure that the seafood you and your family enjoy today is available for generations to come.